Did the exhibition
Did the presentation
Alright, so I took my break to finish the last college apps and go to Cape Town, South Africa. Upon returning I added the extra two ropes to the railing as discussed in the previous post. This weekend I will be putting some decorations on the inside and cleaning it up to make it look comfy. ALL DONE!
I’ve finished shingling, worked all week on the ladder steps, railing posts, and crown, then installed it all on saturday. Took a bit to trouble shoot the rope ladder since we wanted to find a good angle that is easiest to climb it, and also we needed to put a lip by the door to grab onto when getting up. The railing looks prime, but my father believes it is best to add some more rope lines for safety and such. Simple thing. Now all I have to do is clean it up, make it look spiffy, and fill the interior with homey stuff.
Alright, so I finished plywooding, and began shingling. I am now preparing to work on the railing, ladder, and tree holes. For both the railing and ladder I will be using nylon braided white rope. The railing posts will be made of 4x4s and the ladder steps of cut down the middle 2x4s, which I then sand to make nice on the hands.
A lot has been done since my last post, mainly because of Thanksgiving break. I put in the windows, painted it up, framed the roof, and began putting the plywood on. I want to get it all done and shingled ASAP so I can begin detailing. I also have to do the railing… It never ends.
Welp, there it is. It’s officially a house; this thing is quite large. Putting on the siding was fairly easy, just cutting it to size was a bit annoying. I will admit, it is a little strange to see this in my yard every morning, but it does make me happy to look at. I also enjoy hanging out in it. Can’t wait to slip in the windows and hinge on the doors. It’s gonna look shnazy.
The structure has been framed in all its last minute glory. I say last minute because I was making changes to the design/set up right until we nailed each piece in. The act of using nails for the framing is where I got the post title. We, as in Juan (a builder friend) and I, basically, laid out the octagonal shape, which I played around with in blue tape for a while before arriving on a final decision, cut doubles of each of the pieces, cut 2×4’s seven feet long for the height, and then put it all together. Also we framed the windows, which came last because I was quite indecisive about placement. Next is siding, windows, and doors.
As the title suggests, I have been hauling ass, in all meanings of the term. This has been going on since last week as you may have noted from my previous post. Throughout these days I have been spending about 3-4 hours per day working on the treehouse and it has payed off. I finally have the floor up, trimmed and ready. Looking at it and being on it makes me quite happy. Feels good to see it up there, looks legit.
‘Twas a busy weekend for me. As you may have gathered from the title of this post I had to take the cross beams I made the previous week down due to a series of complications/unnecessary hassles, and I hate things that unnecessarily make my life harder. So the next day I met with a builder my father found, Juan. We discussed plans all morning then began work on a new structure. This went from 9am-6:30pm. After much consulting we decided on the need for support 4×4’s on each corner, but we first wanted to complete the floor joints because we already had the material. This was finished on Monday, also from 9am-6:30pm. Additional to the floor joints we were able to dig the holes for the 4×4’s, which we will be inserting the coming weekend using foundation cylinders.
Ya, so we ended up not sticking to that whole detailed idea. We just continued to wing it in a guesstimated fashion. Basically what we’ve done so far is create a cross section which we then cut slots into so that it can sit steadily on top of the triangular support beams. This was quite the challenge. Next up is extending it all out so that I can finally begin the floor boards. I would really enjoy seeing a platform up there. I would feel accomplished.
From the start this project has been a plan it as it goes type deal, but now is when the intricate planning comes in. The platform has to be perfect. It will be the base structure of everything. I need to figure out exactly where I want the trees to sit within the platform, which will dictate where they sit within the structure. Many permanent decisions to be made. Let’s see how it goes…
Since my last post I have rigged up the beams, which will be the main supporting structure of the treehouse. This may have been one of the more challenging parts of the project due to the weight and density of the wood, making it hard to work with. We also worked in a rain storm and the pre-drill bit broke mid securing the third beam. The next step is to begin detailed planning for the platform.
P.S: James was also there helping out, but he took the pictures, so that’s why you don’t see him
This blog will encapsulate an overview of my progress. The entirety, filled with detail and project development, will be in my process folio, which is a moleskin sketchbook.
Where I am Now: I have a strong design that in finalization will not look so different than how it does now because I like what I have a lot. The beams have been drilled and prepped, ready to be rigged up in the coming week. My workspace has become a type of sanctuary, filled with anything and everything; from an amplifier to a whiteboard and of course a wood pile and the necessary tools.