More Routing. November11th.

Finally I was able to begin routing my cavities. However (there is always a “however”), when routing the neck cavity at the correct angle, something that should take one day maximum, the entire right side of the cavity cracked TWICE! Two days in a row, which many can imagine really raged me, because the one day task became the three day task. Luckily it was an easy fix, and by the end of this week, the neck cavity and pickup cavities are routed. After this is binding, painting, electronics- and then the body is finished (if only it were as simple as it sounds!)

 

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 10.51.27 PM

Down to Size- November 11th.

The project is making good progress! It was slightly unfortunate to find out that by a calculation error, the entire guitar was nearly 1/2 ” too thick, so as I hoping to route the pickup cavities and neck angle this week, I actually spent the week building a jig that would allow me to hold the guitar upside down (Which is hard since the top is now carved and does not lye flat) as I routed down the back. Thankfully it was a success and the guitar is now at the perfect/precise thickness !

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 10.40.56 PMScreen Shot 2015-12-14 at 10.38.23 PM

 

 

November 6th.

The top of the Les Paul is completely carved and finished. It took nearly one week of just hand sanding to get it exactly where it should be. I recently built a jig in which i can route out a socket for the neck at the correct angle (4.4 degrees), and my neck wood arrived (coincidentally perfect timing for everything.

October 24th. 2015

At this point, the final shape of the Les Paul body is complete. I have traced on all of the different levels/ body lines that I am routing into a step like figure. Each step is at roughly 1/16 of an inch in height difference. I have completed the first levels, which should have been the hardest. After I am done routing all of the steps, I can sculpt them with an orbital sander to create an accurate 50s style carved top.

Screen Shot 2015-10-24 at 2.45.17 PM

October 16

It has been 5 weeks into the senior project. I feel as though I am on par with my personal calendar. I spent all of the last week refining the shape of my guitar body, trying to get all the bumps and grooves in the wood to become smooth and flush to the glued on top. I also printed out a life-size template to carve the top and will be making them in the coming week. I should have the body done by the end of next week or the following Monday at the latest.